Monday, March 24, 2014

Review: A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33060.A_Fine_Balance













Goodread rating :  4.32/5
My rating           :  5/5

The cover of this book will tell you a lot about the life of the character in this book. They all live in a fine balance of hope and the desire. This is story set in India during the emergency years in late 1970's. I will agree, this a very fat book. I felt a strong connection with all the character. As the story started to role my emotion like love, rage, sadness, happiness, grew with them.

After reading 800 pages of this book I thought  all the character should have something good happening in the end. But author sticked to reality and show us, how an unprivileged person in the Indian society remains unhappy in his whole life. That part made me very sad.

The best part of this book is undoubtedly the prime minister speech. Author pictured them so well that I felt I am part of the crowd.  The helicopters, cutout. and the combination of helicopter and cutout. everything was so funny.

There are many things I didn't know about the emergency rule. The most weired one was the child control. I know china went through that for last 3 decades. but never imagined that it happened in India at that large scale.

In the end, this book is a masterpiece from Rohinton Mistry. Thanks to author who showed me another side of this world through his mind.

~thechimp

No comments:

Post a Comment